Whose Opinion Matters?


Recently, I had the chance to go to a concert for a very well-known rap artist. During the breaks between songs he took the time to continuously brag about himself: how he’s traveled all around the world, has his own private plane, several number one albums, lots of beautiful women, etc. While everyone was shouting his name and the girls in front of me were falling out as he jokingly extended an invitation for a few ladies to ride back with him in his plane, the Scripture Matthew 6:2 popped into my head: “I tell you the truth, they have received all the reward they will ever get.” As I looked around at the roaring crowd, it suddenly became clear that this would all pass awaythe celebrities, the fame, and the money would come to an end.

When I got home that night I read the rest of Matthew 6, and in verse 19 Jesus tells us to “store your treasures in heaven, where moths and rust cannot destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal.” I started thinking about treasures and how this rapper’s treasures were all down here on earth: fame, cars, recognition, status, planes, and the like. All of which can’t go with him once he passes from this earth. Jesus went on to say “Wherever your treasure is, there the desires of your heart will also be.” I started to think about what my life would look if I was focused on storing up treasure in heaven instead of down here on earth. If I was focused on what God would think about my actions instead of what other people thought about me. If I would stick to His standards instead of denying Him in order to be liked for a few minutes.

And that’s when something clicked. Why would I risk my eternity for a few moments of instant gratification on earth? I'd rather store up treasure in heaven than make fun of someone just so that people could laugh at my joke that won’t even be remembered a few moments later.

A few weeks ago, my pastor quoted Exodus 15:26 in our service and it has stuck with me ever since. It reads, “If you will listen carefully to the voice of the Lord your God and do what is right in His sight, obeying his commands and keeping all his decrees, then I will not make you suffer any of the diseases I sent on the Egyptians; for I am the Lord who heals you.” My pastor placed an emphasis on doing what is right in His sight , and I finally got it: God’s approval is the only one I need.

In college, I feel like I’m fighting for everyone’s approval: My professors, my parents, my boss, my coworkers, my roommate, my friends, the list goes on. But like my mom told me that you can’t please everybody. So with that being said, I’ve decided to just please God and tore up for myself treasure in heaven instead of here on the Earth. :)

Comments

  1. This is so true. The main jump that many of us Christians must get over is the one that keeps on telling us to think of what someone else has to say. As if that person isn't just as imperfect as you. Throughout my life I use to try to be accepted by the popular crowd to feel better about myself. I use to do hurtful things just to get notice by humans and as time passed on I realized that is actually a complete waste of time. It turned me into a Peron I never should have wanted to be and I sad part is I was trying to empress the same people that bullied me in life. Yes it was dumb but I did it. I since then Learned that God is the car more better one to empress because No one gets hurts and you never have to compete for his love and also God has the best gifts money can't buy. Who else do you know can give you an eternity of good lavish life. Who else do you know you can brag to your friends about on how he blessed you or stayed right there with his arms side open waiting on you to return back from your life of sin because you are his baby and he did t give up on you?.... there is No one. I choose to empress God though I know Satan would pop up thoughts in my head stating what would people say... But I say forget you Satan! And I don't care what anybody has to say but God!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

2021: The Year of Great Expectations

The Sin of Ingratitude